There are no products in your shopping cart.
| 0 Items | £0.00 |
BRITAIN has named the British air worker shot by kidnappers in Kaduna State as Faye Mooney who was killed when armed gunmen attacked the holiday resort in which she was staying late last week.
Ms Mooney, 29, has been praised for her bravery and belief in societal change that took her to places others feared. A Nigerian man was also shot dead in the attack on a holiday resort 60km south of Kaduna, in which three other people were abducted late on Friday evening, according to local police and the British high commission.
Kidnappings are rampant in Nigeria, where both locals and foreigners are targeted, mainly for ransoms. In this case, the British high commission said it was aware of the incident but would not speculate on the motive or nature of attack as there has been no claim of responsibility and the kidnappers have yet to be identified.
Ms Mooney’s family said: “Faye was an inspiration to her family, friends, students and work colleagues with her bravery and her belief in a better society took her to places others feared. We are so proud of who she was and of everything she achieved in her short life. Her memory will always be cherished.”
Mercy Corps, the non-governmental aid agency Ms Mooney worked for, also paid tribute to her. Neal Keny-Guyer, the charity's chief executive said Ms Mooney had worked with Mercy Corps for almost two years, devoting her time to making a difference in Nigeria.
He added: “Faye was a dedicated and passionate communications and learning specialist. her colleagues were utterly heartbroken.”
A Kaduna State Police Command spokesperson said: "The kidnappers armed with dangerous weapons gained entry into a recreational resort called Kajuru Castle, shooting sporadically and in the process shot dead two persons, including an expatriate lady and took away three others."
Over recent years, northern Nigeria has been plagued by a Boko Haram and Islamic State insurgency as well as clashes between farmers and herders in which hundreds have died. In Kaduna and the wider north-west region, kidnapping for ransom has become increasingly rampant, particularly on the road to the capital, Abuja, where armed attacks have thrived.
Earlier this month, recently re-elected President Muhammadu Buhari, ordered his senior security chiefs to curb kidnapping in the region. Four western tourists, two Americans and two Canadians, were abducted in Kaduna by gunmen in an ambush in January that left two of their police escorts dead.