There are no products in your shopping cart.
| 0 Items | £0.00 |
NIGERIA Police Force (NPF) commanders have revealed that they are not aware of President Muhammadu Buhari issuing an executive order revoking firearm licences nationwide.
Last week, it was reported that President Buhari signed an executive order banning the use of private firearms and revoking all gun licences. This order, which was due to take effect today on June 1, has been widely opposed because of the level of insecurity in the country with Fulani herdsmen and kidnappers causing havoc as they maraud the country with AK47 assault rifles.
Apparently, the president was said to have signed the order on May 22, 2019, in response to threats by some Niger Delta militants to declare a Niger Delta Republic and secede from Nigeria. However, the police denied knowledge of the order barely 24 hours after the Federal House of Representatives, passed a resolution asking President Buhari to reverse it in the interest of Nigerians.
Their resolution followed the consideration and adoption of a motion, which came under Matters of Urgent Public Importance, titled Motion on the Need for Mr President to Rescind the Executive Order to Remove, Revoke and Banish all Firearms Certificates and Licences Throughout the Country. Lawmakers contended that the executive order cannot override an Act of Parliament and they urged the president to sign into law a bill on the Establishment of the National Commission against the proliferation of small arms and light weapons.
According to the legislators, many citizens would be left vulnerable and be at the mercy of mindless criminals, terrorists, bandits and kidnappers, if the order was not rescinded. They argued that licensed guns were not the ones used to perpetrate crimes, noting that withdrawing firearms would further expose law-abiding Nigerians to danger.
Lawmakers called on security agencies to rather go after the criminals carrying out their nefarious acts with unlicensed guns. NPF spokesman Deputy Commissioner of Police Frank Mba, said he was not aware of the order.
So far, the presidency has neither commented nor denied reports on the purported order since it came into the public domain. Human rights lawyer Femi Falana, said gun licences were granted to citizens to complement the measure put in place by the government to protect life and property of citizens in the face of grave dangers to lives and properties as being witnessed under President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration.
He said the revocation of such licences could create the impression that the government was exposing Nigerians to further danger. Calling for a review of the president’s executive order, Mr Falana said the solution was for federal and state governments to re-organise and equip the Nigeria police, motivate them and increase their number phenomenally for proper policing of the country.